Contributing author to Gifts : Chapter 8


GIFTS - how to order
gifts

Gifts : Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

The Gifts Outreach program provides complimentary copies of Gifts to organizations which serve parents facing a new diagnosis of Down syndrome for their child, either prenatally or postnatally. We believe that the stories in the book provide a vital companionship and support for such parents.

2008 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA): Gold Award

2008 Mom's Choice Awards: Silver Recipient, Special & Exceptional Needs































FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Can you diagnose me?

ok, this is all about ME. I have had a myriad of severe symptoms since Labor Day weekend; nausea (which I thought was from my birthday celebrating :) ) abdominal pain, shooting pains under both ribs like a cramping pain at different times, abnormal distention in my stomach and then dull, throbbing pain in my lower back area. I knew since I have already had an endoscope and been diagnosed with GERD that maybe the symptoms were related to that. I actually went to the Dr. Monday, and she did a cursory examination, paid more attention to my blood pressure issues (which I am borderline) than the pain in my back which at this point is so severe I cannot sit for more than 30 min and have trouble walking.

Her diagnosis? sacroiliitis She prescribed Flexeril a muscle relaxer which I can only take at night and celebrex, an anti-inflamatory. Now I am no Dr. (I just play one on the internet) but I have no fever and the severe bloating pain has nothing to do with this diagnosis. To top it all off, I haven't been able to try the celebrex as my WONDERFUL Anthem insurance won't allow it until I try two more alternatives that are...cheaper. One being Advil! If Advil helped I would never have gone to the Dr.! So now I am playing phone tag with the Dr office trying to at least get the prescription filled to see if it helps, as the Flexeril certainly doesn't.

I also had to ASK for a urine test to rule out a kidney infection. The Dr. office called my home number today asking that I call them. Of course I got that after hours once we got home from work. I bet that they are calling to inform me I have something showing up in my urine/bloodwork....hmmmmmmm you think?

gotta go lie down..Sigh.

5 comments:

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I have no diagnosis, but hope you start feeling better. Sounds like no fun! :(

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you are still not feeling better. I'm just wondering...do you have your appendix? When mine ruptured, three days after I had D no less, it was awful. I had many of the same symptoms you mention.

Did you have any bloodwork done?

Here's a link about the appedicitis symptoms: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/appendicitis/index.htm#2

Whatever it is, it just can't be a back problem it just doesn't make any sense.

Anonymous said...

Oh and I wanted to mention there are many other tummy things that can have these symptoms. I think you need a good once over by someone willing to spend some time to figure it out. Don't let it go for too long, and don't mask your pain with heavy duty pain relief.

Unknown said...

Do you have your gallbladder????

Jan Steck Huffman said...

I was officially diagnosed with Sacroiliitis and am on osteoporosis drugs.

So besides needing to lost 40 lbs, I have old lady arthritis. I love turning 47.