Contributing author to Gifts : Chapter 8


GIFTS - how to order
gifts

Gifts : Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

The Gifts Outreach program provides complimentary copies of Gifts to organizations which serve parents facing a new diagnosis of Down syndrome for their child, either prenatally or postnatally. We believe that the stories in the book provide a vital companionship and support for such parents.

2008 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA): Gold Award

2008 Mom's Choice Awards: Silver Recipient, Special & Exceptional Needs































FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Monday, March 05, 2007

Life goes on.........

Some people ask "how do you tell your child he/she has Down syndrome"? My response is, we always discuss Down syndrome, and Nash, and Ds and Nash together. Its no big deal. I might say "we are going to the Christmas party and you will see alot of kids that have Down syndrome". Or "Tarenne is coming this weekend. You know she has Down syndrome just like you"? Or, "sometimes its difficult for you to understand math, and it will take more time, because you have Down syndrome"....it just is.

Anyway, I got the "Life Goes On" DVD series for Nash and Jeff for Christmas. I never watched it when I was young, but Jeff did, and so under the Xmas tree it went. Nash has seen a few of the episodes since Christmas, but he is still obsessed with the Munsters and Scooby Doo movies. He really was interested when I showed him the pictures of him and Chris Burke together at the Buddy Walk last year, but that was right after Christmas.

But Friday night, he asked for Chris Burke, over and over. As I put it on for movie night, I said, Nash, you know Chris Burke has Down syndrome?

Nash: Yeah, I have Down syndrome too. Its cool.


wow............its all clicked.

6 comments:

jennifergg said...

That IS cool! And I love the new look, it's terrific!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I agree, it is cool!

I've been wanting to get the Life Goes On dvd also - I loved watching it when it was on t.v.

Jessica said...

That is too cool! I've been meaning to buy that on DVD and it's driving me crazy that I haven't yet!

The Mom said...

Soooo cool! I don't think that Brady yet understands that he has DS, although we spend a lot of time at DS functions, and he has many friends who also have ds :) I hope he will think it's as cool as Nash does :)

Unknown said...

You have such a beautiful son. And I loved that show, too, when I was younger. Such a great program!

Stopping by from the party . . .

Cheers! :)

Kari said...

We watch this often I love it and always did even when I was a teen.
Nash is so darn cute. Reading this made me all emotional. I agree having Down Syndrome is COOL!