Contributing author to Gifts : Chapter 8


GIFTS - how to order
gifts

Gifts : Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

The Gifts Outreach program provides complimentary copies of Gifts to organizations which serve parents facing a new diagnosis of Down syndrome for their child, either prenatally or postnatally. We believe that the stories in the book provide a vital companionship and support for such parents.

2008 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA): Gold Award

2008 Mom's Choice Awards: Silver Recipient, Special & Exceptional Needs































FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Thursday, August 04, 2005

What's a "Mauzy"?


I was born a Mauzy, as a middle name, circa eons ago. Its a family name, from my father's side. My paternal grandmother was a Mauzy, as were 7 of her sisters. I always thought the Mauzy family name was unique, just like these ladies were; few had children of their own, married later than most, and boy did they have a 'tude! I didn't know how much I had in common with the Mauzy ladies until later in life.

Once I got to school age, I started hating Mauzy. I was nicknamed "The Mauz" in highschool due to the unique nature of just, being. While in track, and gymnastics, there were yells of "Go Mauz!" I thought, when I get married, I am going to leave Mauz behind. So I did. Twice as a matter of fact! Married later in life, and started a family which is a whole story itself.

My current yen to use it again arose just recently when my good friend Tara asked what I might like my blog to be called. She helped me start this blog, hence the post on EB White. I love her blog, and those I peruse daily, as many of theirs are unique as my friends are themselves, and their families. Why? Well, although I wouldn't have said this years ago, I love being different!

A unique individual came into our lives 41/2 years ago; our son Jefferson Nash, or Nashtaters. He was born with trisomy 21, or Down syndrome. He is the love of our lives, and next to his Daddy, who is the best father and husband in the world, these two men encompass my being and relish in their uniqueness.

So I return to Mauzy, just for the love of uniqueness.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I can't wait to read your musings :).

Unknown said...

There is much to be said for being Unique.....and like the many facets of a precious gem....the unique cuts of friendship bring together a breath-taking beauty.

I'm so excied to read Mauzy's musings...and of coarse see pictures and read of the life of my future son-in-law!!!! :0)

Jan Steck Huffman said...

Anyone have a ref handy? Mikey, help us out!

Ladies, love you and your blogs, just keep on feeding me ideas!