Contributing author to Gifts : Chapter 8


GIFTS - how to order
gifts

Gifts : Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

The Gifts Outreach program provides complimentary copies of Gifts to organizations which serve parents facing a new diagnosis of Down syndrome for their child, either prenatally or postnatally. We believe that the stories in the book provide a vital companionship and support for such parents.

2008 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA): Gold Award

2008 Mom's Choice Awards: Silver Recipient, Special & Exceptional Needs































FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Monday, December 05, 2011

Math, it no longer makes him "sweat"

This year in Fifth grade we couldn't be happier with Nash's progress, and especially his supports and success in inclusion.  He has been chosen Student Council rep for his class, loves going to school, has a new "girlfriend" and yes, is even enjoying math.

We have him in regular 5th grade math for a part of the math session, where he utilizes a calculator to do the work.  Then he is pulled to work on his IEP goal Math work, where he uses a number line, manipulatives and math facts to work on his basic skills.

I found a video of this past summer where Nash first learned how to carry with double digit addition, utilizing a number line.  I was so impressed when his tutor showed me Nash was doing this by himself, so I will show it here.   At dinner, when I asked "what was the best part of your day?"   Nash now answers emphatically "Math!"   We've come a long way baby, from "Math makes me sweat" in fourth grade! 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?

There's a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.
Please let me know. Cheers

Also visit my web blog: math tutor nj