Contributing author to Gifts : Chapter 8


GIFTS - how to order
gifts

Gifts : Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

The Gifts Outreach program provides complimentary copies of Gifts to organizations which serve parents facing a new diagnosis of Down syndrome for their child, either prenatally or postnatally. We believe that the stories in the book provide a vital companionship and support for such parents.

2008 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA): Gold Award

2008 Mom's Choice Awards: Silver Recipient, Special & Exceptional Needs































FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Thursday, September 02, 2010

On my 50th Birthday ... Thank you for giving me life Mom

As mom lies in bed, battling end stage cancer, she is some days able to converse, others not so much. Some days able to remember, others she lacks this ability. But she always recognizes us, loves our visits, and occaisionally will still have her wine. But one thing she cannot do this year is buy a birthday card for me for my 50th birthday September 4th.

So, I will instead thank you Mom. For giving me life, for being a wonderful and caring person to the many that love you, and will reprint your card given to me last year as I keep it on my office wall as a reminder what is important. And how much you love me, always.

How to Make a Beautiful Life
Reflections for a Daughter on Her Birthday


Love yourself.
MAKE PEACE with who you are
And where you are
At this moment in time.

Listen to your heart.
If you can’t hear what it’s saying
In this noisy world,
MAKE TIME for yourself.
Enjoy your own company.
Let your mind wander among the stars.

Try.
Take chances.
MAKE MISTAKES.
Life can be messy and confusing at times,
But it’s also full of surprises.
The next rock in your path
Might be a stepping-stone.

Be happy.
When you don’t have what you want,
Want what you have.
MAKE DO.
That’s a well-kept secret of contentment.

There aren’t any shortcuts to tomorrow.
You have to MAKE YOUR OWN WAY.
To know where you’re going
is only part of it.
You need to know where you’ve been, too.
And if you ever get lost, don’t worry.
The people who love you will find you.
Count on it.

Life isn’t days and years.
It’s what you do with time and with all the
Goodness and grace that’s inside you.
MAKE A BEAUTIFUL LIFE......The kind of life you deserve.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart! I love you!
You pick the day and your favorite dinner and I’ll
Bring it up
Have a great day!
xx’s Mom

12 comments:

Robin said...

That was beautiful.

Unknown said...

Oh Jan, I am sitting here crying tears. Tears at the beautiful Gift your Mother brought into this world. Tears at the love your Mother has for you and you for her. Tears for the precious moments are you now spending with her.....

Joyful tears at the thought of all the inredible memories you two created together as Mother and Daughter.

and Tears for you my dear Soul-Sister. Wishing I were closer so I could give you a hug, share a glass of wine and Celebrate your 50th Birthday with you!

All my love,

Tara Marie

Beth said...

Jan, I love your post to your mom. Happy Birthday! Wish I could join the wine party Tara Marie would host for you if we were all together. Enjoy Chicago with your darling hubby! HUGS! ~Beth

All 4 My Gals said...

What a beautiful tribute to her. Love you!

Kay Drakesmom said...

How beautiful I sat here crying as I was reading your post. As a mother you know things that cost nothing are the most cherished of all gifts. You have been given the gift of making more memories. Don't waste a second of the day. Hug your mother talk with her and let her know just how much she means to you. Take lots of pictures they are worth a thousand words. As I hold a glass of wine a toast to you on your 50th birthday. On the day we meet we will toast our mothers as you share yours with me and I share mine with you. Hugs Kay

Mommy Mac said...

Beautiful, Jan.

Kristi said...

Jan, this is so beautiful. As a mom of two daughters, and being close to my own mother, this hits especially close to home. Thank you for sharing this with us. You and your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you have a wonderful birthday - you deserve the very best!

Penny said...

That is so beautful Jan. You have been blessed with a wonderful mother and I know you have many beautiful memories of her. Hugs and Happy Birthday!

Lisa said...

HUGS and Happy Birthday Jan! What a beautiful tribute and beautiful words in your card. So glad you have had all the moments and memories...and glasses of wine ;) Thinking of you and keeping her in our prayers!

Jan Steck Huffman said...

Most important to me is

And if you ever get lost, don’t worry. The people who love you will find you. Count on it.

And that has happened in my life. Thank you to those that count.

Anonymous said...

i don't know you nor do you know me, but while doing an internet search for this card i somehow found this blog post. my mother gave me the same card at 18 while battling cancer as well. at 18, the words meant nothing to me at the time (probably more interested in the cash inside the card) and now at 23, 5 years later, i found a photocopy of this card in a box of her things. she must have known the words i'd need to hear today, and somehow they found me again, long after the card was discarded. god works in mysterious ways.

i am glad to know this same card has had so much meaning for others.

Jan Steck Huffman said...

seven months after mom's death, I returned to my blog. I read your wonderful supportive messages, and am finally settling into the fact that indeed, mom is gone.

thank you all.

And thank you Anonymous, as yes, God does work in mysterious ways. I found a second card she had given me with this same saying on it. And it has greatly impacted my life. I no longer am stressed to always do "the best" and do "everything"....I can just be. me. Thanks again mom. miss and love you!