Contributing author to Gifts : Chapter 8


GIFTS - how to order
gifts

Gifts : Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

The Gifts Outreach program provides complimentary copies of Gifts to organizations which serve parents facing a new diagnosis of Down syndrome for their child, either prenatally or postnatally. We believe that the stories in the book provide a vital companionship and support for such parents.

2008 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA): Gold Award

2008 Mom's Choice Awards: Silver Recipient, Special & Exceptional Needs































FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Blogging Against Disablism Day, May 1st 2008




I’m gonna go all political on you today, this glorious day of Blogging Against Disablism Day (and for a chance for a first edition copy of GIFTS drop me a comment, see below)

Let me ask this. Have you chosen your presidential candidate? Here in Indiana, we get to participate in the Primary vote next Tuesday May 6th. Quite exciting actually.

Did you know Obama is the only candidate that is behind Fully Funding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, IDEA? If you haven’t seen Barack Obama’s plan, then go to BARACK OBAMA’S PLAN TO EMPOWER AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES .

Here is his position on
Fully Funding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act:
Barack Obama has been a strong and consistent advocate for fully funding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Congress promised to shoulder 40 percent of each state’s “excess cost” of educating children with disabilities, but it has never lived up to this obligation. Currently, the federal government provides less than half of the promised funding (17 percent). Children are being shortchanged, and their parents are forced to fight with cash-strapped school districts to get the free and appropriate education the IDEA promises their children. Fully funding IDEA will provide students with disabilities the public education they have a right to, and school districts will be able to provide services without cutting into their general education budgets. In addition to fully funding IDEA, Obama will ensure effective implementation and enforcement of the Act.

IDEA reaches every public school. Approximately 12 percent of public school students receive assistance through special education. When IDEA was passed in 1975 the law included a commitment to pay 40 percent of the average per-student cost for every special education student. That commitment has never been met. Congress is currently funding IDEA at less than 18 percent. See the impact on your state of proposals to reduce the federal share.

No, I have never voted for a Democrat for President. But if Barack Obama, former Civil Right Attorney, gets there, yes, he will get our vote. And I work for a Republican Attorney General! Yes, that is just how important this election is for fully funding IDEA.

Really.

Now lets hope we can scrape up enough money to buy gas get to the primary on Tues. May 6th


_____________________

Oh and on this wonderous of Blogging Against Disablism Day, May 1st 2008, just leave a little note and I will put the names into a hat and have the Nash man pull out a winner for a fantastical GIFT....the unique first edition of Gifts: How Children with Down syndrome Have Enriched Our Lives Copyright 2006 by Booksurge LLC Winner to be chosen on Mothers Day.

yeah, how lucky are you all today? A little politics and a big ol' GIFT.

11 comments:

TerriSamsmommy said...

Please, enter me in the drawing...I would love to have a copy of the book...Terri (Sam's Mommy)

Kari said...

Thanks for the polital education :) Yes I am one of those people that don't follow politics closely. I know I bet your cringing. You can bet that next time an election comes up over here I will be paying more attention. The services and educational options for Tristan here in Quebec stink and I am finally going to grow up and vote for something I'm passionate about. Mean while I can add aide to my resume and go to school with my child since they won't provide him with one. Most Anglaphones focus their votes on preventing Quebec from seperating.
Sign me up for your draw. I was going to donate my own copy of gifts to Tristan's new school and order another one to keep in case I meet a New Mom one day down the road :)

Ashley's Mom said...

One of the things I love most about BADD is that I find so many more wonderful blogs like yours!

Deborah

Cusp said...

Good on ya ! Great to see your little fella looking and doing so well. Our son has Lowe Syndrome and we were told he'd never 'amount to much' but in his way he is thriving and a joy. Handsome, strong and an education to all who meet him.

Love from UK

Beth said...

Thanks for the info about Obama.
Good to know!

FAB said...

Thanks for spreading the word about Obama.So many people overlook disability issues when considering candidates, it's not something that's even spoken about.
Please also enter me in the drawing.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

As another who needs to vote today, I really didn't know who I was gonna vote for. Sadly, I had even said that to the Obama supporter who visited my house yesterday and the best thing he could tell me was "Did you know that by the time your children are 30, they won't know a president that's last name wasn't either Clinton or Bush." I just simply responded "interesting," but I thought it was pretty sad that that was the best he could say to sway my vote as his supporter going door to door. At least you have given me substance! Thank you! Happy Voting!

Anonymous said...

I think the best part of BADD is reading people's opinions that I probably wouldn't have found without the link to their blog. Thanks for the information on Obama- he had my vote when it was our turn here and I hope I get the chance to do so again in November. Please enter me in the drawing as well....

cathy and the crew

Pam said...

First of all, thank you so much for the comment on my blog!! You put into words exactly what was spinning in my head over the past few days, that I couldn't get out.

It's something that I will never understand as to why Down Syndrome is a syndrome when they use it as a DX, but when you try to get insurance they label it as a pre-existing condtion. It's so messed up.


Not only that, but alot of Rhett's medical issues, don't have a thing to do with his extra chromosome.

I wish they would just look at him as a child, and not go into the whole cookie cutter mold thing.

Anyways, thanks again, I always enjoy your comments and value your imput.

Also, we would love to be entered into the drawing!! I just gave away my copy of gifts to a mom that I met at our last trip to PCMC. She had just had a baby with DS, and was having a really hard time.

They were in the NICU, so I didn't get to see them....(no taking RSV up there!!) But I talked with the mom a few times in the hall, and since I had the book with me felt compelled to give it to her.

It is such an amazing book. I have read it at least 5 times.

Anywho, I hope all is well.

((HUGS!!))

Pam and Rhett

Anonymous said...

Hey Jan! What a great post! I am already an Obama backer, but was it was great to read this as I did not know he intends to fully fund IDEA! It sure would be great to get someone in there who could do that!

Also - please enter me in the drawing as well if you could!

Hugs to you and Nash!

Lisa

Jan Steck Huffman said...

and the winner of the GIFTS book is........cusp! I left a note on your blog so contact me! Congrats!