Contributing author to Gifts : Chapter 8


GIFTS - how to order
gifts

Gifts : Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

The Gifts Outreach program provides complimentary copies of Gifts to organizations which serve parents facing a new diagnosis of Down syndrome for their child, either prenatally or postnatally. We believe that the stories in the book provide a vital companionship and support for such parents.

2008 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA): Gold Award

2008 Mom's Choice Awards: Silver Recipient, Special & Exceptional Needs































FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Monday, July 10, 2006

It's unfortunate that the Indy's Child issue is becoming a huge "prolife" matter....

as this blogger so wrongly refers to the Indy's Child mess as. I am revolted that my pain has allowed her to start her day with a big chuckle, but that is my issue.

My stance, and has always been my stance, is that our premise for being on the cover was not a "disabled" topic; it was to be "Summer Fun". It was not to be tied in to any prenatal testing article, which it was. And most importantly it was not to be the method for which to allow incorrect information to reach the readers who may be contemplating prenatal testing, or termination. Lastly, if indeed the magazine wants to use our children on the cover to offer information on prenatal testing, that is fine with me. Just balance the article with one that gives accurate and informative methods.

So no, I won't be going to that blog to post, it would never be understood...as to them I am considered pro-life because I don't believe in aborting children with T21 simply because of preconceived notions and stereotypes.

9 comments:

Betsy said...

OMG, Jan!! Just when you think you've seen it all...

You're right - no need to post a comment on that blog, as that person would delight in the outrage.

What a sad statement of a life someone like that is making...really sick.

All s/he (I didn't stay on the site long enough to even notice) is missing is a link to Peter Singer.

Funny thing is, this writer probably believes himself/herself to be quite entertaining.

I'm not mean enough to wish death or tragedy on someone like this, but maybe a really, really good case of food poisoning would be o.k. :0

Jen said...

Hon, that blogger just wants to stir things up and be hateful. I wouldn't even link to her/him.

Anonymous said...

Just blow that one off... that person is an obvious FREAK in search of stirring the pot in all directions that makes today's world an evil place. I wouldn't link to it, either. There are too many other freaks out there and no need to add one more sorry @$$ to a decent blog about what is GOOD with humanity!

Anonymous said...

Jan, I am so sorry there are sickos out there like this putz. Ignore this piece of crap.

Unknown said...

OMG.....that is all I can say.

Hey Jan,,,have I told you lately that you are such an inspiration to me.

Give the Nash man a big hug and kiss from his Jersey Girl.

Glaivester said...

btw, Ilkka Kokkarinen is a man, not a woman.

The Mom said...

Jan - I'm sorry about that blog and his reference to you and Nash - his blog isn't worth the cyberspace it takes up ;) There are people out there who just don't get it, they don't know the joy and blessings that we have because we are blessed with our kids. They don't see the gift that we see - and you're right, it's not worth responding to their venom and misconceptions, because they aren't willing to open their eyes to the beauty.

I'm sorry this all has happened. I pray that Indy's Child will see the error of their ways and apologize, if nothing else. Thinking of you guys!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that that person did that. I generally make a habit of asking a person before posting a story that is personal in nature and derived from a board/forum or a personal blog.

It is just the right thing to do.

I had a pro-life blogger put me in her list of links as a blog that was suggested as a read to deter someone from aborting a child with DS---ugh!

I simply emailed her-thinking it would be a simple exchange-asking her to remove my link. About ten emails later my request was complete.

I completely understand the desire of one to express their beliefs, and freedom of speech-but when you venture onto the personal territory of another--logical thinking and moral reasoning should always apply...too bad not everything thinks this way.

Anonymous said...

P.S. It wasn't that I didn't want my blog to be a link necessarily, it was more about trying to stay out of the debate of pro-life pro-choice.

I just don't like to be involved debates of any kind.

For the record--I do not agree with abortion based on the diagnosis of T21.