Contributing author to Gifts : Chapter 8


GIFTS - how to order
gifts

Gifts : Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives

The Gifts Outreach program provides complimentary copies of Gifts to organizations which serve parents facing a new diagnosis of Down syndrome for their child, either prenatally or postnatally. We believe that the stories in the book provide a vital companionship and support for such parents.

2008 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA): Gold Award

2008 Mom's Choice Awards: Silver Recipient, Special & Exceptional Needs































FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Monday, November 07, 2005

When your eyes just swell with tears of pride

When Nash was small, ok, smaller, about "Gymboree" size, I often wondered how he would do in gymnastics. I was a gymnast until 2nd year in college when I found a social life. So with my interest, and Nash's flexibility, I am thinking, hey, what a great gene mesh!

Flexibility is a hallmark of having Down syndrome, but unlike those with regular 46 chromosomes, flexibility is not encouraged. Thus said, children with Down syndrome start physical therapy at a very early age. Nash started at 3 months of age.

As our favorite internet pediatrician, Dr. Len Leshin states states, the purpose of physical therapy is not to accelerate the rate at which the child with Down syndrome achieves his gross motor milestones, it is to help the child avoid developing abnormal compensatory movement patterns that are common ways of adjusting for hypotonia (decreased muscle tone), increased flexibility in their joints and decreased strength in their muscles.

So, attending a birthday party for 4 year olds Sunday at a local gymnastics club was exciting for me, as entering a gym club brought back many "chalk" memories........memories of hip bruises, calouses and rips on your hands from the bars, and aching muscles. But still good! I still had anxiety going to the club as Nash is completely included in a "typical" preschool class. We know he keeps up pretty well, but wow, in a gymnastics club with foam pits, tramps and rings with belts? Guess what, he not only had a blast, kept up, he led the group on the trapeze!


Here is the party gang warming up. Big Dawg is in the orange, and to his right is the Nashman warming up........hmmmmm looks like a great straddle stretch to me!

Nash jumping into the pit video.

Just hanging out - he let go this time and landed in the pit!

The gang leader waiting

And the best, Nash leading the gang at the rings video here. You usually have to download it then it runs smooth. He did let go right after the video ended thank god or we would have had to send the Big Dawg out there.

Too much fun!
And yes, the official classes will start in December, god help them

4 comments:

BStrong said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, but Mauzy the party was for the kids. I heard that you were hogging everything, showoff:)
B

Jan Steck Huffman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I just adore this post....way to go Nash-tater and you are a natural!!!!

Jan Steck Huffman said...

Ok, I am learning here on Comments, and trying to be a good blogger! I deleted my comment since I had a typo and can't figure out how to edit...erg. Anywho,

bstrong. Let's try again.
yeah, I knew when they told me to put my sweats back on I had gone a bit too far living vicariously......

tara. I think he got that from the Mauzy side. ;)